Photo by Emily Blackman / Recipe made for The Great Vine
This is one of my go-to meals! I love crispy tofu and a good sauce. It doesn’t take forever and it’s a great addition to any stir fry or curry! There is a lot of controversy about tofu but I think it’s OK to eat minimal amount of high quality organic + sprouted tofu. Do what feels good for you!
Okay, here you go + enjoy!
1 package of firm tofu (preferably organic + sprouted)
2 tbsp avocado oil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (I always add a little more for extra-cheesy crunch!)
pinch of salt+ pepper
1/3 cup peanut butter or almond butter
2 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
1 lime, juiced
Water, as needed to thin
Optional: add cayenne flakes or jalapeño for a spiced peanut sauce!
Bake the tofu
1. Heat the oven to 400* and press the tofu for 20min (or longer, if patient!)
2. Place parchment paper on a large cookie tray. Remove tofu from package, gently squeeze out any water and wrap in a reusable cloth
3. Place tofu under a heavy surface (I use my cast-iron pan) and allow liquid to drain
4. When ready, cut tofu in rectangles, and slice in half
5. Gently toss together the tofu, oil, nutritional yeast and salt + pepper in a bowl
6. Spread the tofu evenly on the parchment paper
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, checking in periodically. Tofu should become crispy and start browning, flip over half-way
Make the dip
1. Add all ingredients into blend and thoroughly mix!